Every home office will be different depending on your style and the work you perform. So, what do you need for a home office? I have owned my own company, working out of my home, and I have worked for a company and have been able to do the same. So far I have worked out of my home for 8 years. Here are some of the things I have learned from experience you may want to know if you are planning a home office.
A Place to Work
This may be obvious to most of you but you need an office to keep your work organized and a place you can allow for some peace and quiet. You may have to take a phone call or be part of a conference call at times and it will be times like this that you will need some noise control.
Most all of us have children, have had children, or are planning on having children. Need I say more about the need to be able to close the office doors at times. But, what about you partner? Have you ever thought about them being a problem? I once realized, then promptly told my wife, that she was more difficult to work with than any boss I have ever worked for! I’m surprised we’re still married after that slip of the tongue.
The problem is, that was the truth. Many spouses or partners can be more demanding than your boss. You don’t believe me? Try working at home for one year and then let’s have this discussion again.
You need an office space if you plan on working remotely for more than one “temporary” year.
Let’s keep this simple. You don’t need much to start working out of your home. Please get all of those pictures out of your mind of a beautiful office with expensive furniture and a fireplace in the background as you’re looking out your double french doors over a beautiful manicured lawn and across the lake.
Now you know what I envision as my perfect office.
Most people who start out working at home don’t have thousands of dollars to go out and buy the most beautiful furniture and you don’t need to. Keep your ultimate goal in mind of working remotely for many years to come and keep your expenses to a minimum.
All you need is a cheap, and probably free, table and chair. You really need to add a filing cabinet to organize things and maybe a bookshelf but that’s about it. I would add an additional small table for your printer but that can also be cheap and most likely free. We need to get real with ourselves and keep our priorities straight. Would you rather start out with nothing and build an empire or buy your grand office empire now and not be able to pay for all the expensive office furniture later when you’re trying to get the company off the ground?
Unless you already have money, you need to start out with some cheap stuff, at least when it comes to furniture.
Computers and Printers are a Completely Different Ballgame
Save your money when acquiring your furniture and invest it into the technology which is absolutely critical for an effective home office.
You will lose money if you don’t have the latest computer, printer and monitors.
It’s amazing how many times in the past I have seen office managers yelling at their people to get the job done faster, yet the staff is working with 7 year old computers and 10 year old monitors.
How many times have you seen highly qualified people waiting for a slow computer or sub-standard internet speeds, sitting and hoping that the screen would refresh or pull up the next page so they could do their job?
You don’t need to buy the most expensive equipment in the world but if there is a place where you don’t skimp, this is it.
My Home Office and Other Remote Equipment/Supplies
So you want to work remotely? Here are some of the furniture, equipment and supplies you may need to do your job, anywhere in the world. If you haven’t figured it out yet, working remotely means way more than working at home.
- Private office if at all possible
- ActiveMat for standing
- File cabinet(s)
- Small table for a printer unless the printer can sit on your desk
- Bookshelf or cabinet for books and office supplies
- Laptop (not a desktop)
- Docking station
- External hard drive (primarily for backups)
- Smart phone (to receive calls and emails when away from your main office)
- Hot spot on smart phone for remote internet connection from laptop
- Miscellaneous office supplies
- VPN Router & Service
And for all of you “really remote” workers, you may want to add these items:
- AC to DC power converter
- I have a third office in my van. I have the ability to power my laptop and printer for unlimited periods of time away from any typical office. I will write on this more in the future but I desire the ability to work anywhere, and at any time. In order to do this, I have had to think long and hard about the size and type of vehicle that would allow me the space and comfort I need. Working out of a vehicle will be short-lived if you don’t have something with enough size and that is easy to move in and out of and around in.
- Light and mobile desk top you can sit on your lap
- There may be a product out there you can buy but I bought a thin, lightweight, sheet of wood and cut it to the size I would need to sit my laptop and mouse pad on side by side. I rounded the corners and sanded down the edges to make them smooth. My job requires me to use my mouse 80% of the time so it’s crucial for me to have some portable table I can sit on my lap and operate just like I would if I had a desk.
- Satellite internet connection
- This is something I don’t know much about and will be researching more in the future but if you want to be camped next to a beautiful lake, far into the mountains, with no internet connection and your business requires an internet connection; then you need a way to have internet access no matter where you are.
Just Brushing the Topic of a Home Office
As you can see, there is a lot of things to consider when setting up a home or “remote” office and we have just barely touched on the subject.
What about making sure your clients are ok with you working remotely? You may think this is none of their business, but they can potentially make life difficult for you.
Have you talked this over with your family? Does your partner even want you working at home? Some people who don’t have to be in the office may like their alone time during the day.
What about you? Have you really worked this through in your mind how it will be working at home? Have you done a test run and tried working from your home or vehicle for a week or two to make sure this dream doesn’t turn into a nightmare?
Working remotely is incredible……..for some people. Make sure it’s right for you.
If you love the idea of working remotely but are not sure how to do it or what you could sell, then follow me and let me show you what I have learned and how I am preparing for the future.
Please leave a Comment Below or Email Me if you have a question.
Return to Home Page
- 【14" HD Display】14.0-inch diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), micro-edge, BrightView. With virtually no bezel encircling the display, an ultra-wide viewing experience provides for seamless multi-monitor set-ups
- 【Processor & Graphics】Intel Celeron N4120, 4 Cores & 4 Threads, 1.10 GHz Base Frequency, Up to 2.60 GHz Burst Frequency, 4 MB Cahce, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Handle multitasking reliably with the perfect combination of performance, power consumption, and value
- 【RAM & Storage】8GB high-bandwidth DDR4 Memory (2400 MHz), Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. 64GB high-speed eMMC Storage for your office and webinar needs
- 【Ports】1 x USB 3.1 Type-C ports, 2 x USB 3.1 Type-A ports, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, and there's a microSD slot
- 【Windows 11 Home in S mode】You may switch to regular windows 11: Press "Start button" bottom left of the screen; Select "Settings" icon above "power" icon;Select "Activation", then Go to Store; Select Get option under "Switch out of S mode"; Hit Install. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
- READY FOR ANYWHERE – With its thin and light design, 6.5 mm micro-edge bezel display, and 79% screen-to-body ratio, you’ll take this PC anywhere while you see and do more of what you love (1)
- MORE SCREEN, MORE FUN – With virtually no bezel encircling the screen, you’ll enjoy every bit of detail on this 14-inch HD (1366 x 768) display (2)
- ALL-DAY PERFORMANCE – Tackle your busiest days with the dual-core, Intel Celeron N4020—the perfect processor for performance, power consumption, and value (3)
- 4K READY – Smoothly stream 4K content and play your favorite next-gen games with Intel UHD Graphics 600 (4) (5)
- STORAGE AND MEMORY – An embedded multimedia card provides reliable flash-based, 64 GB of storage while 4 GB of RAM expands your bandwidth and boosts your performance (6)
- POWERED UP AND PRODUCTIVE – Work, watch, and stay connected all day with up to 11 hours and 30 minutes of battery life (7); plus, HP Fast Charge technology charges your laptop computer from 0 to 50% in approximately 45 minutes so you never miss a beat (8)
- Purposeful Design: Travel with ease and look great doing it with the Aspire's 3 thin, light design.
- Ready-to-Go Performance: The Aspire 3 is ready-to-go with the latest AMD Ryzen 3 7320U Processor with Radeon Graphics—ideal for the entire family, with performance and productivity at the core.
- Visibly Stunning: Experience sharp details and crisp colors on the 15.6" Full HD IPS display with 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels.
- Internal Specifications: 8GB LPDDR5 Onboard Memory; 128GB NVMe solid-state drive storage to store your files and media
- The HD front-facing camera uses Acer’s TNR (Temporal Noise Reduction) technology for high-quality imagery in low-light conditions. Acer PurifiedVoice technology with AI Noise Reduction filters out any extra sound for clear communication over online meetings.
- Wireless Wi-Fi 6 Convenience: Maintain a strong, consistent wireless signal with Wi-Fi 6 (aka 802.11ax) and 2x2 MU-MIMO technology.
- 【Memory & Storage】The PC memory has been upgraded to 32GB DDR4 SDRAM for enhanced high bandwidth to easily switch back and forth between open applications; the Hard drive has been upgraded to 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD for fast boot-up and speedy data transfer
- 【Processor】Intel Core i3-1115G4 Processor (2 Cores, 4 threads, 6MB L3 Cache, base at 3.00GHz, up to 4.10GHz), with Intel UHD Graphics
- 【Screen】15.6" diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), touchscreen, micro-edge, BrightView, 220 nits, 45% NTSC
- 【Tech Specs】1 SuperSpeed USB Type-C, 2 SuperSpeed USB Type-A, 1 HDMI, 1 AC smart pin, 1 Headphone/Microphone combo; Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- 【Operating System】Windows 11 Home - Beautiful, more consistent new design, Great window layout options, Better multi-monitor functionality, Improved performance features, New videogame selection and capabilities, Compatible with Android Apps
- 【Storage and RAM】 Benefit from enhanced multitasking capabilities with 16GB of DDR4 RAM, which provides higher bandwidth for seamless performance. 128GB SSD+ 128GB USB storage, offering up to 15 times faster performance compared to traditional hard drives.
- 【Processor and Display】 Harness the power of the Intel N200 (Pentium), featuring 4 cores and 4 threads with a clock speed up to 3.7GHz with turbo boost and a 6MB cache. he device features a 15.6" HD (1280 x 720) LED display with a brightness of 250 nits. The anti-glare feature ensures a comfortable viewing experience even in well-lit environments.
- 【Office 365 for one year】 Get full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and 1 TB of One Drive storage for 1 year.
- 【Webcam and Operating System】 The device is equipped with an HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones, complete with a privacy shutter for enhanced security and peace of mind. It also runs on Windows 11 Home in S mode , providing a secure experience.