Do you have a vision of where you’re going? If not, how do you know you can achieve your goals?
Definitions of Vision
- The ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom
- The act or power of anticipating that which will or may come to be
How Important is Vision to Your Future?
I would say that vision is near the top of the chart, right after finding what you are passionate about. Without knowing your passion, your vision may get a little blurry.
So, how can you go about laying out your vision for your future, in your personal life or your business?
Personally, I start with dreaming. What do you love, or what are you passionate about? Do you dream or day dream about it? Do you star off into the distance imagining what your life will be when you achieve your dreams? Let’s start with a quick list of how I start to develop my vision.
- I start with dreaming or visualizing my future. It’s usually 5 or 10 years into the future.
- Next, I start thinking in more detail of what I want my future to look like.
- Now, I start making a list of what I need to do in:
- One week
- The next month
- This year
- Two years from now
- Five years from now, and
- Ten years from now
- Then I start visualizing what I’m doing this year or next year. I’m working on seeing the reality of what I will be doing in the short term, as I’m building on my dreams and visions.
- Lastly, when I’m driving or in a place where I cannot physically work on something, I day dream or make plans about anything in the future, weather it is success in the short term, or complete success when I have reached my dreams. The one thing I never do is consider failure or dream about it. I may have a bad dream once in a while, but I always visualize success.
Honestly, this really comes down to visualization and making lists of what I need to do to achieve my goals in life.
I learned about visualization a long time ago, back before anyone was talking about it or writing books about it. During my years as a football player, I would go to sleep at night thinking about all the ways I would carry the ball, hit a “would be tackler,” and spin off them, then put my head down and hit another tackler, then spin off again, until I had made a touchdown or made some spectacular play.
I was amazed when in the following football games, that I was doing things I had fallen asleep dreaming about but had never done during a practice leading up to the game. That’s when I knew there was a lot of power and importance to visualizing anything in life.
It’s like the saying in the movie, Field of Dreams, with Kevin Costner. “Build it, and they will come,” but in this case it’s “visualize it, and it will happen.”
I have found this to be true in my life. I am taking steps to build my on-line business, and I see the success in my mind every day, so I have absolute confidence in what will happen in my future.
It doesn’t matter about some setbacks along the way, because those are only small blips on my computer screen, but I can see past all of that to my big goal, knowing that my destination is still right in front of me. I only had to take a small side trip on this journey in life.
One of my favorite quotes, I saw on an inspirational picture a long time ago is:
Happiness is not a destination, rather a manner of traveling
I use to think I would be happy when I reached my goal, but now I understand I can be happy on the journey to my goal.
How Can We Reach Our Destinations?
There are many things we need to do in order to reach our goals and our destination, but knowing what your passions are, and coming up with a vision or plan of how you’ll get there, are two at the top of my list.
I hope you’ll join me on my journey to Financial Freedom and Financial Independence, and maybe you’ll start your journey or finish it with me.
Check out this YouTube video below about developing my vision for the future.
Please leave a Comment Below if you have any questions or thoughts about your visions of your future.
Return to Home Page